[CCWG-ACCT] Definition of public policy advice from the GAC

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Fri Oct 30 10:29:08 UTC 2015

Thanks Jorge.

From: Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch [mailto:Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch]
Sent: Friday, 30 October 2015 7:06 PM
To: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au>; tracyhackshaw at gmail.com
Cc: accountability-cross-community at icann.org
Subject: AW: [CCWG-ACCT] Definition of public policy advice from the GAC

Dear all,

It is always useful to have a look at our governing docs, for instance the GAC OP (attached) and the following extract:

“3.
ICANN’s decision making should take into account public policy objectives including, among other things:
• secure, reliable and affordable functioning of the Internet, including uninterrupted service and universal connectivity;
• the robust development of the Internet, in the interest of the public good, for government, private, educational, and commercial purposes, world wide;
• transparency and non--‐discriminatory practices in ICANN’s role in the allocation of Internet names and address;
• effective competition at all appropriate levels of activity and conditions for fair competition, which will bring benefits to all categories of users including, greater choice, lower prices, and better services;
• fair information practices, including respect for personal privacy and issues of consumer concern;
and
• freedom of expression.”

Regards

Jorge