[CCWG-ACCT] proposed language for Mission statement on contract enforcement

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Fri Oct 30 16:31:52 UTC 2015

Becky,

"shall not regulate services that use the Internet's unique identifiers"
-- had this language been in place a decade ago how could the
corporation have addressed the wildcard problem? Who would be the
regulator(s) of monitized synthetic returns? These are things that
actually broke the net, and an appeal to Vixie's patch seems ... well
... to court risk of repetition.

Where do we go in the future when VGRS initiates another disruptive
service unforeseen in contract? When the Egyptian government next
withdraws all prefixes can we keep the last authoritative nameserver for
Egypt running after its data expires?

Also, assuming for the moment that ICANN currently exercises delegated
rule making authority, if ICANN explicitly abandons this authority, does
that authority revert to the delegating agency?

If I may, to regulate, or not regulate, stub-, recursive- and
authoritative-resolvers and their resolutions via port 53 of delegated
name spaces to allocated address spaces, is more on-point, and vastly
narrower, than "services that use ..."

Eric