[CCWG-ACCT] Defending and Protecting Work Stream 2

Guru Acharya gurcharya at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 20:05:08 UTC 2015

Hi Greg,

While I support WS2, I see it as a blunt instrument.

The definition of WS 2 is "All other consensus items could be in Work
Stream 2, provided the mechanisms in WS1 are adequate to force
implementation of WS2 items despite resistance from ICANN management and
board."

I believe we have reached a point where WS1 does not provide mechanisms
that are adequate to force implementation of WS2 items despite resistance
from ICANN management and board.

While I understand that the community may want to spill the board if it
rejects WS2 recommendations in toto. But I do not see the community
spilling the board if
(i) the board only partially implements WS2 recommendations; or
(iii) the board implements a modified version of WS2 recommendations

Would we topple the entire board if the board accepted all recommendations
in WS2 except for just DIDP reforms? Would we topple the entire board if
the board implements a modified version of DIDP by selectively adding just
one additional restriction criteria? Would we topple the entire board
because the board agrees to give advance notice of board meetings by 2 days
instead of 5 days as demanded by the community?

As Avri pointed out, we will create a system of confrontation by adopting
the designator model wherein everyone would need to be prepared to spill
the board at the drop of a hat for any kind of enforcement. Instead, the
membership model would have avoided confrontation by distributing
responsibility to the community thereby promoting cooperation and the
multistakeholder model.