[CCWG-ACCT] Proposed WHOIS language

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Wed Sep 2 05:57:34 UTC 2015

Hi all, hi Paul:

On 2 September 2015 at 16:31, Paul Szyndler <paul.szyndler at auda.org.au>
wrote:
<snip>

> In short, the (intentionally provocative) question I have is: during this
> time of review and future-gazing, is it appropriate to religiously advocate
> dated policy / contract frameworks that already contradict national privacy
> legislation in many jurisdictions and numerous bi-lateral and (potentially)
> multi-lateral agreements that the USG is itself a party to?

If I read you right, the question could be said also as: "Why put old
language across instead of something contemporary?"

Taking that as right, the only imperative I can identify that was in our
mind was the need to minimise the scope of work in Work Stream 1. Since the
work of the reviews can be amended and updated by processes that we propose
to be in place, there is no need to repair it pre-transition.

I don't have a religious view about that: if smart, simple fixes can be
added, that seems fine. The problems will emerge with the incremental
complexity that comes from taking on "just one more simple fix", if you see
what I mean...

best
Jordan