[CCWG-ACCT] Proposed WHOIS language

James M. Bladel jbladel at godaddy.com
Wed Sep 2 13:04:47 UTC 2015

I agree with others that we should/could use this opportunity to modernize this language before incorporating it in to the bylaws.  As has been said, this could also be a WS2 effort.

As an example, enumerating the various WHOIS contact objects is not helpful, given that past community work examined deprecating the billing contact, folding it in to the admin function, or collapsing all records in to a single contact (OPOC, anyone?).  Future PDPs could revisit these issues, or create new contact objects that would be absent from the bylaws.  And RDS would completely reshuffle the deck.

We should also be mindful that “unrestricted” access would theoretically prohibit anti-abuse measures like CAPTCHA to mitigate WHOIS data harvesting, and “public access to accurate and complete” data might be read to invalidate proposals for “gated access” in RDS.

For these reasons, I appreciate Bruce’s alternative language as an effort to ensure that future WHOIS/RDS work is not handcuffed by overly-narrow bylaws.

Thanks—

J.