[CCWG-ACCT] Perhaps a variation...

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Sep 2 17:10:01 UTC 2015

I will try to address all of the points raised.

I am my colleagues had no illusions about how my message would be
received. We are at a point where some of us feel that there are too
many rough edges to get this proposal sufficiently done to allow it
to meet what we believe are the NTIA criteria, in the time we have.
So we were looking at alternatives, and this was one that seems to
make some sense. If we are wrong and the current proposal can be put
in shape, dandy. But I think it will be a tough haul.

It is not a magic bullet, and I agree that getting closure without
going through another full comment period would be a challenge.

Regarding what does it simplify. Takeout the membership option
removes a number of critical changes. Perhaps easy for the lawyers to
draft, but a challenge to get right given the onerousness of not
getting all of the details perfect. It removes the budget and plan
veto (which I understand some consider mandatory) and that eliminates
a large chuck of work. At the same time, it preserves most of the
CMSM structure that we have fleshed out (but still need to specify
processes in detail as we have heard from advisors and Board members.

I do not believe that CWG requirements are an issue. The IANA budget
will be protected by Bylaw and that can still be done, including the
community control over it.

The overall message I was trying to send is that after careful
analysis of the 2nd draft proposal, I and we find a lot of problems
that need to be addressed and are not at all convinced that we see
how it can be done by Dublin. I felt I had an obligation to raise the
issue publicly, regardless of the scorn from some.

As I already implied, if we are the only ones with concerns, then
let's keep going forward with what we have, and hope that At-Large is
crying wolf (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cry_Wolf for the
cultural reference).

Alan