[CCWG-ACCT] Notes-Recordings-Transcript links for WP4 Meeting | 02 September

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Wed Sep 2 19:06:15 UTC 2015

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for the WP-4 meeting on 02 September will be available here:
https://community.icann.org/x/LYRYAw

A copy of the notes and action item may be found below.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Brenda

Action Items

ACTION ITEM: Include suggestion to drop "internationally recognized" for group consideration

Notes

These high-level notes are designed to help you navigate through content of the call and do not
substitute in any way the transcript.

Draft is available in google for edits/comments.

Comments received on mailing list:

- It does not capture discussions;

Feedback:

- Stick to alternatives in paragraph 151. This should be addressed in WS2.

- Declare intent instead of a statement. It can be addressed in WS2. We need a rationale.

--> Suggestion to stick to paragraph 151 and further develop this item in WS2.

- We should have a document explaining why we need that statement in the report.

- The rationale is going to require fact-based analysis.

- Clarify whether replacing a human rights backstop had in place or are we rebalancing ICANN. We
need a detailed proposal.

--> Suggestion to continue to build document and put forward proposal to implement item 2 of
paragraph 151

- We can agree a simple text with rationale and provide a supporting doc that outlines the issues
that would be discussed in WS2

- Suggestion to remove "internationally recognized"

ACTION ITEM: Include suggestion to drop "internationally recognized" for group consideration

- Which rights are fundamental and which aren't? Unclear which is why rationale is important.
Definitional work is needed.

- Internationally recognized --> we refer to laws that have an international status. Recommend to
leave it there.

- "Fundamental and human rights" raises confusion.

- Human rights are related to the inherent dignity of human kind and are equal and inalienable
rights of all members of the human family, forming the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in
the world." -  <http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/> http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

CONCLUSION: State in our document that we will propose the CCWG embraces the second proposal in
paragraph 151 of the report and draft a very concrete guideline that could serve as a framework of
interpretation that we will suggest including in Bylaws with a note that this would be developed in
WS2.

- How would it fit in public comment period?

---> We will have larger CCWG to approve, comment or modify whatever we are proposing to larger
group.

- We should bring in public comment from the community into our work.