[CCWG-ACCT] Your input needed - Doodle poll - Sept F2F

James Gannon james at cyberinvasion.net
Thu Sep 3 11:53:41 UTC 2015

Hi Ken,
I think that there is a fine line here that the CCWG needs to navigate, and indeed that the board should be aware of.
There is a notable difference between the board exercising authority/veto/power over the work of the CCWG and the board giving input as an important stakeholder in the accountability process.

We should take the boards comments and eventual input into consideration in our work but given that the board is one stakeholder amongst many, if the boards final input does not align with the work of the CCWG and the vehicles by which the community has come to consensus on how to implement them then we need to move ahead with our work. As to the suggestion that the board believes that their approach is not one of a rewrite and is merely an alternative method of implementation I wouud suggest that many in this group had alternatives and ideas, and they were fleshed out and worked through systematically over the last number of months. The time for addressing the fundamental questions of how to enforce the powers that the community has enumerated was in the working groups over the last number of months with the community.

To come in at this extremely late stage, and to propose what many in the community consider a fundamental rewrite of the CCWGs proposal is not conducive to a strong relationship between the board and the CCWG. To many, rightly or wrongly it appears that the board wishes to impose a top down model of restructuring instead of engaging in the communities work over the last number of months in a constructive manner, we have on a number of occasions asked the board to genuinely participate in the CCWG to avoid exactly this scenario, and until the last short number of weeks we did not have that engagement at any meaningful level.

For the accountability proposal, and indeed the transition in general to be considered a representative multistakeholder bottom up work product then the wishes of the community as set out in the proposal must be respected by the board. If we deviate from that we have lost our way. I truly hope that this does not happen and that the board will recognise that the work of the CCWG is based on solid well researched foundations and based in sound legal advice. Please respect the communities collective intelligence and lets not go down the route that we did on the call last night of talking about false agreement on principals and “Lets let the lawyers go off and work this out for us”. Its undermines this whole process to belittle the work of the CCWG in this manner and I hope that this won’t be the approach that the CEO and the board takes going forward. Engage us in constructive dialogue and not slash and burn rewrites of the basic tenets of our proposal.

-James