[CCWG-ACCT] Proposed WHOIS language

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Thu Sep 3 15:51:59 UTC 2015

On 03/09/2015 13:27, Bruce Tonkin wrote:
> Hello Malcolm,
>
> On 02/09/2015 02:24, Bruce Tonkin wrote:
>> ICANN commits to enforcing its policy relating to the current WHOIS
>> and any future gTLD Directory Service,
>
> To be clear - we are not talking about any specific service here with any pre-conceived set of requirements.

Indeed. But I did think there was a risk that wording could be
(mis)interpreted to suggest that we are - and then used to that effect
when discussing what that future Directory Service might look like.

> We are talking about a new service that is established as a result of a policy development process in the GNSO.   If it helps you could add the text:
>
> "any future gTLD DIrectory Service, established via ICANN's bottom up policy development process".

I think that would help.

The only point that I'm making is that we aren't trying to pre-empt that
process or use this insertion into the Bylaws to direct certain outcomes
from it. On that, I think we're all agreed; it's just a matter of being
clear in the language we choose.

--
            Malcolm Hutty | tel: +44 20 7645 3523
   Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog

                 London Internet Exchange Ltd
           21-27 St Thomas Street, London SE1 9RY

         Company Registered in England No. 3137929