[CCWG-ACCT] Fwd: Proposed WHOIS language

CW Mail mail at christopherwilkinson.eu
Thu Sep 3 19:52:34 UTC 2015

Good evening:

With all my admiration for this excursion into 'track-changes' and many thanks to Greg for the .pdf formats:

a)	I have not understood why these texts need to be agreed upon now. Isn't this par excellence a case to be referred to "work stream 2" - ?

b)	WHOIS policy is being addressed in ICANN through several parallel processes, to the point that I have every expectation that they will give rise to inconsistent outcomes.
	We do not need CCWG to add to the process.

c)	In any event, I absolutely disagree to including anywhere the repeated references to " … a commitment that becomes part of ICANN Bylaws, regarding enforcement of the current WHOIS … "

	1.	Current WHOIS policy has proven to be unenforceable for more than a decade.

	2.	Current WHOIS policy, should it be enforced, jeopardises Registrars and Registrants in jurisdictions where the policy conflicts with applicable local law.

	3.	All of the above will have to be reviewed by the community as soon as ICANN proposes how to implement the recommendations for a new gTLD Directory Service.

I suggest that CCWG drop the whole topic for the time being pending ICANN's proposals for new gTLD Directory Services.

Regards

CW

Begin forwarded message: