[CCWG-ACCT] Board comments now in

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Sun Sep 13 02:05:08 UTC 2015

Hello Malcolm,

>>  Binding Enforcement: In California, final decisions may be turned into enforceable court judgments. So an arbitration decision issued following an MEM proceeding can be enforced in a court in California. "

>>  My first question is "By whom?"

As per FAQ question no. 13, the answer is The MEM Issue Group.

This MEM Issue Group could be comprised of the individual people serving as chairs of the participating SOs/ACs. These individuals would have legal standing to initiate arbitration and have legal standing to enforce the outcome of the arbitration in court.

ICANN will indemnify the MEM Issue Group, and will bear the fees and expenses that might be incurred in any lawsuit arising out of the enforcement of a MEM final arbitration decision.

There are other options - but this seems to be the simplest.  More elaborate options include forming an unincorporated association for the purpose of initiating the arbitration and then seeking to enforce in court if necessary  (which I hope is never necessary - as any Board that I have been on would abide by the arbitration).

I have attached the relevant docs for ease of reference.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin