[CCWG-ACCT] ICANN Board submissions to the CCWG public comment process

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Sun Sep 13 21:29:24 UTC 2015

Thanks for that personal clarification, Bruce. If there is anything in the CCWG proposal that the Board believes could be against the GPI I would hope that would be shared ASAP.

I am giving the Board input full and unbiased scrutiny, as I presume everyone else is. Having said that, as this entire exercise is to preserve ICANN's MSM, and as this second CCWG proposal is very well considered output from a serious multistakeholder process, I believe that at this stage it deserves a high degree of deference. Which is not to say it is perfect, and what consensus plan ever is? But it is to say that comments which offer "perfecting amendments", that are offered in the spirit of improving the fundamentals of the proposal, should be embraced more readily than amendments in the nature of a substitute, which aim to remove a fundamental component and replace it with something quite different -- especially because accepting a substitute may well require the reexamination and reworking of multiple other related components of the Proposal. Regardless of whether the MEM is truly simpler than the SMM, accepting it may have complex ramifications for the overall Proposal.

As you say, " The Board however has suggested an alternative which I think is worth considering", and I wouldn't disagree that it does. But an alternative is indistinguishable from a substitute and therefore I think it carries a higher burden of proof for acceptance.

Best regards, Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW