[CCWG-ACCT] Your public comment re replacement of IANA provider

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Sat Sep 19 02:06:30 UTC 2015

Hello Alan,

>>  I appreciate that the Board is suggesting that costs of using the MEM to enforce fundamental Bylaws will be covered by ICANN.

Correct.

>>   Is it also the intent of the proposal submitted by the Board that IRP costs incurred by AC/SOs enforcing regular Bylaws by covered by ICANN?

That is not in the Board comments, and the Board doesn't have a position on that at this time.

Ultimately this becomes a budget question.   I am personally OK with some sort of budget for an SO or AC to be able to challenge whether the Board has followed its bylaws.   I think it needs to be capped at some amount for any given year.

I guess we could stop having face-to-face public ICANN meetings, and put the savings from the travel and meetings budget into a larger budget for the community to spend on legal fees :-)     It would also force us all to be more effective at using online collaboration tools.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin