[CCWG-ACCT] Your public comment re replacement of IANA provider

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Sun Sep 20 08:34:22 UTC 2015

Bruce

Here's my impression of where the Board is at.

I am starting to get the perception that ICANN ("the corporation") seems
to be positioning itself as in disagreement with the strategic goal of
ensuring the corporation becomes (I was going to say 'remains' but
that's entirely inaccurate) accountable to the people it was designed to
serve.

I don't see much evidence of the "we are all ICANN" tree-hugging that,
at least, to some extent, is required from time to time in the
organisation's history.

In the last 10 years I've become able to argue the finer points of legal
construction with the best of them, but that's not what, I feel, is
needed now. But that's what seems to be going on. I feel ICANN's legal
advisers are following their normal instincts -- "protect the client" --
and the client is seen to be Board/CEO/Staff and the status quo, not the
"wider ICANN".

I'm willing to be proved wrong, (or as a judge might say: 'I'm prepared
to listen to argument on that point') but I think that, on current
perceptions, that is an uphill road.