[CCWG-ACCT] Your public comment re replacement of IANA provider

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Sep 21 02:13:34 UTC 2015

Two replies to specific comments

At 20/09/2015 05:40 AM, Nigel Roberts wrote:
>Nice try. But I'll bite anyway . . .

>What I find interesting is that the Board, instead of merely
>pointing out the disagreements or potential workability issues with
>the CCWG's plan, has put together its own competing bid

This is a Catch-22 that I have found myself in several times during
the CWG-IANA and the CCWG-Accountability. If you criticize something
without providing an alternative it is either ignored or discarded
because it the view of some, there is no viable alternative. If you
provide an alternative you are criticized for not following due
process in developing bottom-up ideas.

>Once the transition happens, there is no incentive for anyone to fix
>anything that we don't like now.
>
>ICANN will, in law, simply be a private company, entirely owned by its Board.

Except that at the very least, we will have the ability to get rid of
a Board (or parts of it) that refuses to agree with where we want to go.

Alan