[CCWG-ACCT] Latest blog post from Larry Strickling

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Thu Sep 24 01:23:18 UTC 2015

Hi all

Happy reading...

Reflections on the IANA Stewardship Transition Process
September 23, 2015 by Assistant Secretary for Communications and
Information and NTIA Administrator Lawrence E. Strickling
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2015/reflections-iana-stewardship-transition-process

With the closing of the public comment period, we at NTIA continue to be
impressed by the dedication and hard work of the many stakeholders involved
in planning the transition of NTIA’s stewardship of the Internet’s domain
name system. We are pleased to see so many stakeholders participate in the
crafting of the plan to transition NTIA’s role related to the DNS technical
functions, known as the IANA functions.  Everyone that benefits from the
Internet has a stake in the success of the multistakeholder model and a
voice in this process.

Today it is clear that there is a substantial amount of consensus support
for the goals and principles established by the two working groups that
have led the planning efforts since last year. It is equally apparent that
there is consensus on many of the specific elements of the plans that
were presented for comment to the global Internet multistakeholder
community.

However, the comments also reveal that stakeholders have not reached
consensus on all the specific tools that have been proposed to enhance the
accountability of ICANN, the IANA functions operator, and that there are
many questions still to be answered, both about the substance of the
overall plan as well as its implementation, before the community will be
ready to submit a final proposal to NTIA.

This week the Cross Community Working Group (CCWG) is meeting in Santa
Monica, Calif., to continue work on how to enhance the accountability of
ICANN in the absence of its contractual relationship with NTIA.

As the stakeholders convene in California, I would like to offer some
thoughts as to how the CCWG might proceed as productively as possible to
discuss the comments received on the CCWG proposal and continue to craft a
plan that will meet the needs of ICANN’s stakeholders as well as the
criteria
<http://www.ntia.doc.gov/press-release/2014/ntia-announces-intent-transition-key-internet-domain-name-functions>
we
outlined at the beginning of the transition planning in 2014.

The most critical factor for a successful discussion this week is that
stakeholders focus on bridging their differences.  This transition planning
is testing the multistakeholder model as never before.  The world is
watching to see if stakeholders can find a consensus way forward.  Making
history is hard work and on matters this important, it is never a smooth
path to reach agreement. Do not get discouraged or frustrated.  Above all,
stay engaged.

With those thoughts in mind, here are some suggestions for a possible
process:

First, stakeholders might consider as their first task to catalogue the
many aspects of the CCWG proposal for which there is clear consensus.
There does appear to be general agreement on the fundamental principle that
there is a need for increased community empowerment in the eventual absence
of the NTIA contract.  Stakeholders also appear to agree on many of the
specific tools needed to provide that empowerment.

Second, the stakeholders could then determine what details of the specific
agreed-upon tools they need to fill out, particularly any potentially
contentious implementation matters. There is not enough detail in the
current draft for NTIA to conduct a thorough analysis of how the plan meets
our criteria.  The questions asked by stakeholders in the public comments
demonstrate significant confusion and uncertainty as to exactly how
portions of the plan would be operationalized and some apprehension as to
whether all possible consequences of this proposal have been fully thought
through.

Third, after completing these first two tasks, stakeholders should then
evaluate whether the package of detailed proposals for which there is
consensus is adequate to satisfy our criteria.  For example, if this
package of consensus measures were implemented, would it provide a
commensurate level of accountability that stakeholders perceive has been
provided over the years by the backstop of ICANN’s IANA functions contract
with NTIA?

If the answers to these questions are yes, stakeholders could then consider
whether to proceed to prepare a final proposal to be presented to the
chartering organizations at ICANN’s October meeting in Dublin.  If the
answers are no, stakeholders should then engage in a gap analysis to
determine what additional measures are warranted in order to satisfy the
NTIA criteria.  And then, all stakeholders need to come together to reach
consensus because there is no alternative path to completing the
transition.  Stakeholders should not think that they can submit competing
plans to NTIA for our consideration.  We will not choose between proposals,
and it is not our role to substitute our judgment for that of the community.

Finally, do not let timing pressures deter you from delivering a
fully-formed, well-thought-through plan.  As I stated in Argentina in June,
provide us a plan that is as simple as possible but still meets our
conditions and the community’s needs.  Every day you take now to simplify
the plan, resolve questions, and provide details will shorten the length of
time it will take to implement the plan and increase the likelihood that
the plan will preserve the security and stability of the Internet.  Putting
in the extra effort now to develop the best possible consensus plan should
enhance the likelihood that the transition will be completed on a timely
schedule.

--
Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

+64-4-495-2118 (office) | +64-21-442-649 (mob)
Email: jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter
Web: www.internetnz.nz

*A better world through a better Internet *