[CCWG-ACCT] Regarding GAC participation

Perez Galindo, Rafael RPEREZGA at minetur.es
Wed Sep 30 09:26:17 UTC 2015

Good morning/afternoon/night to All

In order to make an informed decision on the role the GAC could take on in the different models under discussion, it is still unclear to me what the legal implications of participation in a voting mechanism are for governments, even more in the absence of a precedent or parallel that we could draw on.

Hence, the ability for governments to participate in wider community voting processes under a foreign jurisdiction is a point I would like to raise with the CCWG's legal advisors, along with the issue of governments liability as participants e.g. in the sole member of a non-for-profit corporation (which stems from the fact that governments would be subject to CA jurisdiction). This issue was first raised by Anne Aikman-Scalese (9th september email) and I believe no answer has been provided to date:  "[...] I still did not receive an answer with respect to my question regarding the applicability of CA Corporations Code Section 18630 which provides as follows:   "Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, a member or person in control of a nonprofit association may be subject to liability for a debt, obligation, or liability of the association under common law principles governing alter ego liability of shareholders of a corporation, taking into account the differences between a nonprofit association and a corporation.".

In conclusion, I kindly ask the Co-Chairs to forward these questions to the CCWG legal advisors about (1) ability, (2) legal implications and (3) liabilities of governments if they took part as voting members in the community mechanism to be deployed under CA jurisdiction. An answer should be provided for the three models under discussion (SMM, Single designator and MEM).

Looking forward to receiving the legal advice, thank you and best regards

Rafael

GAC_SPAIN