[CCWG-ACCT] A way to avoid the 'The Single Member Can Do Anything!' problem

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Wed Sep 30 19:33:45 UTC 2015

The Single Member does not have a Board. It is a counting mechanism of the
votes cast / consensus arrived at by the participating SOs/ACs.

Jordan

On 1 October 2015 at 08:16, Greg Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com> wrote:

> We could even go so far as to suggest that the Single Member have a board
> that mirrors the ICANN board, seat by seat.
>
> I would be curious to see the Board's response to that.
>
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org> wrote:
>
>> Agree 100%.  We would be sorely amiss in our duty to enhance ICANN's
>> accountability if we did not address the concerns about transparency in
>> decision making at ICANN.
>>
>> Robin
>>

>> On Sep 30, 2015, at 11:26 AM, Phil Corwin wrote:
>>
>> Transparency of Board meetings and deliberations is long overdue and
>> sorely needed. It should be the rule with very narrow exceptions.
>>
>> Sunlight is the best disinfectant.
>>
>> Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
>> Virtualaw LLC
>> 1155 F Street, NW
>> Suite 1050
>> Washington, DC 20004
>> 202-559-8597/Direct
>> 202-559-8750/Fax
>> 202-255-6172/Cell
>>
>> Twitter: @VLawDC
>>
>> "Luck is the residue of design" -- Branch Rickey
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Sep 29, 2015, at 10:24 PM, Edward Morris <egmorris1 at toast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jordan,
>>
>> I appreciate the spirit in which this thread is intended.
>>

>> --That is, aside from the five community powers and the ability to
>> enforce the bylaws against the Board, the other powers the California law
>> grants to member/s (document inspection, dissolve the company, etc), should
>> face such high thresholds to action that they can, practically speaking,
>> never be actioned at all.
>> So how to resolve this? The CCWG's choice of a Single Member (following
>> its earlier choice of multiple members) was to meet the accountability
>> requirements the community has asked for. But nobody asked for the
>> community to have these other powers.
>>

>> I disagree with this premise with regards the inspection right. I've
>> certainly made that a central component of what I've tried to accomplish
>> here. Kieren has been a strong advocate, as well, calling it a "red line";
>>
>> ---
>>
>> On 07/08/2015 11:37 PM, Kieren McCarthy wrote:
>> A quick view specifically on "rights of inspection".
>> I think enabling that some entity gets this right would be one of the
>> most useful of all possible accountability improvements.
>> It would - perhaps over time - pull out any motivations that might exist
>> for ICANN to be misleading or less than truthful in its reporting. This
>> is going to be especially important as ICANN receives increasingly large
>> amounts of revenue and particularly given its current weak financial
>> controls.
>> (See: http://www.ionmag.asia/2015/07/icann-finances-swallow-the-money/)
>> I predict that ICANN corporate will fight hard to prevent any entity
>> from gaining this right. And that it will continue to fight hard even
> [...]

Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

+64-4-495-2118 (office) | +64-21-442-649 (mob)
Email: jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter
Web: www.internetnz.nz

*A better world through a better Internet *