[CCWG-ACCT] Implementation flaw in Mission section

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 21:27:00 UTC 2016

I agree that the current draft language on this point appears too narrow.
However, Malcolm's proposed language is overbroad and goes beyond what was
agreed to.  I can understand the desire of the drafters to avoid using the
term "regulate," since ICANN is not a regulatory body and is thus incapable
of regulating as such.  The trick is capturing the conceptual essence of
the term without using it, and without substituting terms of substantially
broader or narrower effect.  The essence of regulation is prescribing or
imposing rules and/or requirements.  As such, I find Bradley's suggested
language to fall much closer to carrying out the intent of the CCWG Report,
and I support that language as well:

ICANN shall not impose terms and conditions on services that use the
Internet’s unique identifiers or the content that such services carry or
provide.

I do not support the new note to the drafters that Malcolm has proposed as
a "request."  I don't think this objectively frames the issue, and I don't
think it is necessary to include a pontificatory paragraph with our
suggested language.  I suggest we scuttle this, rather than taking the time
to negotiate an acceptable version.   All we need to say is that we believe
the draft bylaws didn't adequately capture this particular point and we
propose the language above as a replacement.

Greg

[image: http://hilweb1/images/signature.jpg]

*Gregory S. Shatan | Partner*McCARTER & ENGLISH, LLP

245 Park Avenue, 27th Floor | New York, New York 10167
T: 212-609-6873
F: 212-416-7613
gshatan @mccarter.com | www.mccarter.com

BOSTON | HARTFORD | STAMFORD | NEW YORK | NEWARK
EAST BRUNSWICK | PHILADELPHIA  | WILMINGTON | WASHINGTON, DC