[CCWG-ACCT] The whois/RDS-RT bylaw vs. current activities

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Fri Apr 29 16:02:01 UTC 2016

Andrew:
You've hit a nail on a head, and can expect some obfuscation to follow.

The original Affirmation of Commitments essentially contained a promise - extracted out of the USG by one stakeholder group and imposed on the rest of us without any participation - that ICANN would never change its basic Whois policy. This is one reason why I've never been thrilled about incorporating the AoC into the accountability reform process.  The AoC contained good accountability and transparency language but also got attached to it a bunch of commitments that essentially circumvented the actual bottom up policy process.

For that reason I would strongly support your suggestion that a review of Whois/RDS not duplicate a PDP.

--MM