[CCWG-ACCT] Weinstein v. Iran

David Post david.g.post at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 21:36:46 UTC 2016

At 09:37 AM 8/3/2016, Phil Corwin wrote:

>boundary="_000_8E84A14FB84B8141B0E4713BAFF5B84E21188D2AExchangesierrac_"
>
>FYI, yesterday I published a short article on
>the decision which can be found at
><http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160802_court_of_appeals_avoids_doomsday_effect_in_iran_cctld_decision/>http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160802_court_of_appeals_avoids_doomsday_effect_in_iran_cctld_decision/

One small-ish quibble:  you write:

"In reaching its decision, the Court opined (but
did not decide) that a top level domain
constitutes an attachable property interest."

Not sure that's strictly correct.  I think
"opined" implies that the court expressed an
opinion about the matter (without actually
deciding it).  But I don't think it did express
an opinion one way or the other; it simply said
that it would "assume" that the ccTLDs constitute
property, without really considering the matter,
because it would have no impact on the outcome.
I know it's a nit ... but the question of whether
TLDs are "property" is sure to come up again, and
I don't think this opinion is any support at all
- even weak support - for the notion that they are.
David

David G. Post
Volokh Conspiracy Blog http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
Book (ISO Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n