[CCWG-ACCT] [community-finance] IANA Stewardship Transition - Project Expenses - FY16 Q3 update

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Aug 8 07:45:31 UTC 2016

ICANN by its function is a public governance body, if it is a private
body by its form and incorporation that is just an anomaly. All the
discussions/ activities regarding the transition process etc are
basically aimed at addressing this anomaly, in the practical ways possible.

ICANN should therefore be subject to same level of transparency
requirements as say the government of the US or of India is subject.
Quoting 'standard commercial practices' cuts no ice. Government of India
will not be able to give this response to a right to information query.

More specifically, I would really want to know what exactly were all
these vendors doing 'raising awareness about IANA transition' ( if I
understand right, this excludes doing so with US government agencies,
which would come under lobbying) . Were they focussing within the US or
also outside? And on individuals or social groups? (I can tell that none
of their outreach ever came to my notice at all). And of course what
kind of money (out of taxes raised through control of DNS) got spent on
this would be very important to know as well?

parminder