[CCWG-ACCT] [community-finance] IANA Stewardship Transition - Project Expenses - FY16 Q3 update

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sat Aug 13 21:52:23 UTC 2016

On Aug 13, 2016, at 2:51 PM, Pranesh Prakash <pranesh at cis-india.org> wrote:

> John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> [2016-08-08 06:56:12 -0400]:
>>    ICANN by its function is not a "public governance body” - it is actually a coordination
>>    body that supports the stable and secure operation of the Internet’s various
>>    identifier systems.
>
> Dear John,
> It is not a mere "coordination body".  It sets policies, which a "coordination body" would not do.

Incorrect.  There are coordination bodies for a wide range of activities
that also set policies, standards, and charge fees.  Some examples
include technical standards/coordination bodies for Bluetooth, USB,
data center/open interconnection standards,  etc.

The coordination of Internet identifiers (like domain names) may be a
much more visible activity to the public, but that does not change the
inherent nature of the function - it is about coordination of a reliable
and secure system of unique identifiers, not about governing anyone
or anything.   You are not governed by your use of USB connector, but
benefit from the coordination which underlies same.

>  Setting down policies with regard to trademarks and domain names, for instance, is not mere "coordination", imho.

Yes, you have made plain your opinion already.

> It is a regulator: it taxes, it regulates, and it engages in governance.[1]

Whereas I would say it is a coordination body - one which sets policies
and charges various fees related to Internet identifiers.  The bylaws and
articles of incorporation would also suggest a similar characterization
of ICANN (to the extent that you consider them at all germane to the
discussion...)

/John

Disclaimer: my views alone.