[CCWG-ACCT] Notes, recordings, transcript for WS2 Ombudsman Subgroup Meeting #2 - 16 August

MSSI Secretariat mssi-secretariat at icann.org
Tue Aug 16 18:33:19 UTC 2016

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for CCWG Accountability WS2 Ombudsman Subgroup Meeting #2 – 16 August 2016 will be available here:  https://community.icann.org/x/7wSsAw

A copy of the notes and action items may be found below.

Thank you.

With kind regards,
Brenda Brewer
MSSI Projects & Operations Assistant
ICANN - Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers

Notes

1 Call Admin and Roll Call/Apologies Sebastien Bachollet

2.  Welcome – Opening Remarks – Meeting schedule (3 min SBT)
·         Asja Hemrajani: Possible to change 1900UTC proposed meetings to either of the two other slots?
·         Sebastien Bachollet: ACTION ITEM Propose this in an email to the group.

 3.  Action items Call #1 DT Ombudsman (10 min SBT and all)
·         Sebastien Bachollet: Use of Ombuds vs Ombudsman. Dependencies between the sub-groups. Most groups have coordination participants except for CEP and IRP. Evaluate current Ombuds charter vs international best practices. Work can be split into 4 parts Independence, Neutrality and impartiality, Confidentiality and Informality and other standards.
·         Mike Silber: overly complex? should we not look at this holistically?
·         Sebastien Bachollet: do not disagree just trying to break down the work.
·         Herb Waye: we could possibly compare the types of Ombudsman roles (legislative, university etc.). There are quite a lot of variation between these types.
·         Mike Silber: could we ask someone from the current ombud's office to start with that? Always easier to work from a draft. could the Ombuds office do such a first rough draft?
·         Ed Morris: Edward Morris: Point I'm trying to make: Other groups and the entire CCWG have at times attempted to give the Ombudsman powers and responsibilities that go far beyond the traditional remit of an Ombudsman (i.e. fairness). George Sadowsky in Istanbul opined that what we were really talking about was more of an Inspector General than an Ombudsman. Has anyone considered this or, and perhaps Herb can chip in here, whether some of the things that have or may be proposed are beyond the Ombudsmans competence and how we should handle that. Or was George correct in stating we might want to first see if we want an Ombuddy or something else?
·         Mike Silber: Ed - valid point but IMO the way to do this is to look at the powers and framework. Then to hire candidates who embody those
·         Edward Morris: Let's sort what the powers are we want to give the position then figure out what the position should be.
·         Mike Silber: a very good example is the South African "Public Protector" and I will try find time to right a few lines about that
·         Herb Waye: agree there are limitations. Informality is critical. An Inspector General takes this in a completely different direction and is not an Ombuds role.
·         Asha Hemrajani: Agree with EM - we have to look at function and role and then we can look at how they perform that role. So we need a draft to get going.
·         Sebastien Bachollet: doing everything at once is difficult.

4.  Discuss our work plan  [short and medium term]  (15 min)

5.  Next Meeting (5 min)
·         Monday August 22, 1900 UTC.
·         Sebastien Bachollet: any questions for the next call Presentation by the past and current ICANN Ombuds?
·         Sivasubramanian: Mr Waye, are there examples of "informality" that you are talking about? And the boundaries for informality?  Could it be possible that at times lack of respectful attention could pass as informality?
·         Herb Waye: I can address informality next week during the presentation
·         Sebastien Bachollet: Robin can you be the liaison with the IRP group? RG agrees.

6.  AOB (5 min)
·         Sebastien Bachollet: any other business - none? Adjourned.

Documents Presented
·         CCWG_WS2_DT_Ombuds_#2_V1[3].pdf<https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/61605103/CCWG_WS2_DT_Ombuds_%232_V1%5B3%5D.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1471371591700&api=v2>