[CCWG-ACCT] [community-finance] IANA Stewardship Transition - Project Expenses - FY16 Q3 update

Michael Karanicolas michael at law-democracy.org
Mon Aug 22 14:02:12 UTC 2016

Hi all,

As one of the Rapporteurs for the transparency working group, I've
been following this conversation with some interest. Ever since I
first saw the list of groups, I knew there was significant potential
for overlap, since transparency is, of course, a key aspect of robust
accountability.

As a lifelong advocate for transparency and the right to information,
I always love to see people digging into these issues. However, I am a
bit concerned about the potential for the groups to be working at
cross purposes, since reforms to the DIDP are the central focus of our
own process.  At a minimum, having two seperate consultations about
how to reform the DIDP seems to me to be rather inefficient. More
seriously though, I am also concerned that the processes may lead to
conflicting recommendations, which could make it more difficult to
impact the kinds of positive improvements that we all want to see.
I've seen this happen many times before: where parallel processes
produce different avenues forward, the least ambitious route will
inevitably be the one that is adopted.

My preferred approach would be if we could feed this discussion into
our own transparency consultation process. I'm really not trying to be
"territorial" here, so forgive me if it's coming off that way - it's
really not my intent. I just think that consolidation will make both
processes more efficient and effective, and to me it makes most sense
to put them together under the "transparency" umbrella. The issues
raised: confidentiality clauses in ICANN contracts, the grounds under
which DIDP requests may be denied, etc. - have all come up already as
part of our own discussions, which are specifically designed around
developing specific Recommendations for reforming the DIDP, so it
would be great if these conversations could happen together.

TL/DR - What a great conversation. We're having a dialogue on exactly
these issues in the transparency group. You'd be very welcome to come
join us!

Best,

Michael Karanicolas
Senior Legal Officer