[CCWG-ACCT] TR: Jurisdiction Proposed Questions and Poll Results

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 16:26:33 UTC 2016

Dear Co-Chairs,

As a follow-up to my question on the call and based on Greg's response
which I think may be beyond the jurisdiction scope as stipulated in the WS1
proposal. I like to get further clarity for the record.

Let me re-state my question again: "is change of ICANN's current
jurisdiction of incorporation open for debate within WS2 hence can be an(or
one of the) outcome from the jurisdiction sub-group"?

Greg's Response was "somewhat yes" - if there is an issue that warrants it
then it will be recommended.

While I have no problem leaving such option open for discussion in future
(perhaps by other group even though it's been discussed significantly in
the past), and ofcourse the actions of the new US govt could trigger such
need especially if the ICANN Board is convinced as such but that is not the
case as as today.

I am concerned that the sub-group on jurisdiction seem to imply place of
incorporation is within their scope hence may probably be expending
resources on that discussion point. Resources which includes volunteer time
and most importantly legal working hours which isn't cheap from experience
;-). In addition, the unnecessary tension(most importantly the political
ones) that this would create cannot be under estimated - ICANN just had a
major structural reform and should be given time to settle and live a
normal life for once ;-).

I will appreciate if Greg could confirm whether i have parsed his response
accurately and also provide reference to appropriate section of WS1
proposal to support his response.

Regards

Sent from my LG G4
Kindly excuse brevity and typos