[CCWG-ACCT] Jurisdiction Proposed Questions and Poll Results

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Mon Dec 19 15:55:18 UTC 2016

With regard to the ILO (International Labour Organization) I was first
recruited to ICANN/NPOC based in part on my knowledge of the ILO. I
worked for UNCTAD in Geneve but my office was at the ILO and I had
considerable time to study the ILO.

John Laprise is correct. The ILO is not analogous. The ILO operates more
like a multistakeholder think tank, where each stakeholder group (gov't,
industry, labour) had a vertical representation process. For example,
when discussing the global beverages sector the labour representatives
do not "represent the interest of" workers in the beverages sector. They
in fact "represent the workers" in a process of election and selection.

In addition to participants who are actual designated representatives of
their constituencies, the ILO has no policy making authority. It can
draft policy, say for maritime worker safety, but draft policy goes back
into an multinational treaty/agreement process. ILO can lead but it
cannot decide. ICANN is a very different, and quite novel, entity and
probably the largest not-for-profit social business on the globe. If
there are any lessons learned from the ILO they probably have to do with
where they slot in expertise (academic, worker, or industry based).

Sam Lanfranco, NPOC/csih