[CCWG-ACCT] The crusade for clarity continues

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Dec 30 05:58:39 UTC 2016

On Friday 30 December 2016 04:29 AM, John Laprise wrote:

> "Any stable jurisdiction where the corporate law provides suitable
> accountability would do."

OK, John, then come to India, I hope you'd agree all stable democracies
provide stable jurisdictions, or at least most of them do. Lets
incorporate ICANN in India.

Of course, you are going to say but it is already incorporated in the
US, why change. (It is always so much easier to defend the status quo!).
I will tell you why change. A lot of non USians, Indians among them,
have shown discomfort with the application of the current and future US
public law to ICANN, and consider it unacceptable, on the "no
legislation without representation" principle, which is very basic to
democratic thinking. However, somehow, somewhat miraculously (almost)
all US based participants here seem to have developed a strong
collective view that "application of a country's public law to ICANN
simply does not matter" (if this is not the view of most US participants
here, pl do let me know that) .

Ok, I say then, if "application of a country's public law to ICANN
simply does not matter", shift to India, and let Indian public laws
apply. Since it seems to be all the same to USian participants here ,
but non USian/ Indian participants are bothered about the issue of US
public law, we solve what is a problem in the eyes of many without
taking away anything from others who dont see the problem. Since, US
participants seem not to have any problem with public laws application
in any case.

But of course, this is just a hypothetical formulation to try to make
the problem of jurisdiction clearer. I am sure people here will never
contemplate such a lowly thing as moving ICANN to India!

Guys, I have asked this question a few times here, but never get a
response. But I wont stop asking. Would the USians here have accepted if
ICANN had been incorporated in India, and sought no change? Try to
honestly answer this question - if you wont do it publicly, just to
yourself.

parminder