[CCWG-ACCT] "feasible and appropriate" reliance on market mechanisms

Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez G. crg at isoc-cr.org
Mon Feb 1 19:59:32 UTC 2016

Much better Becky. But I still don´t understand the first (negative)
part of the sentence up to the first comma. Would´t it be possible to
assert that ICANN recognises its responsibility (trough AoC type of
Review commitments), while not being an authority to solve conflicts on
competition issues…….

Best

Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez
+506 8837 7176
Skype: carlos.raulg
On 1 Feb 2016, at 11:34, Burr, Becky wrote:

> [...]
>> trough
>> a round of new gTLDs charging rather high applicant fees (or at least
>> high enough so as to create barriers to entry for underserved areas)
>> and
>> solving competing applications trough pure actions, creating a new
>> GDD
>> and greatly increasing the name space, arguing that ICANN does not
>> rely
>> on market mechanisms or does not posses the necessary knowledge in
>> the
>> implications of competition, is an understatement I can hardly
>> believe
>> in February 2016. Hope the CCT reviews will give us all a more
>> realistic
>> view.
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez
>> +506 8837 7176<tel:%2B506%208837%207176>
>> Skype: carlos.raulg
>> On 29 Jan 2016, at 11:49, Burr, Becky wrote:
>>
>>> All -
>>>
>>> As a follow up to our call on Tuesday regarding the language for
>>> Core
>>> Value 5/4:  The language in the current Bylaws reads as follows:
>>>
>>> Where feasible and appropriate, depending on market mechanisms to
>>> promote and sustain a competitive environment.
>>>
>>> The CCWG dropped the introductory ³where feasible and appropriate²
>>> when we issued the 1rst Draft Proposal.  The ALAC, and now some
>>> additional members/participants, have objected to that change.  I
>>> objected to the reinsertion of that language.
>>>
>>> Based on our call on Tuesday I would characterize the mood as
>>> follows:
>>>

>>> *   Most folks are indifferent
>>> *   Some folks feel very strongly that it is very important to
>>> retain
>>> the ³where feasible and appropriate²
>>> *   Some folks would probably prefer to drop the language, but no
>>> one
>>> feels as strongly as I do about it
>>>
>>> I would propose to resolve the situation by reverting the existing
>>> Bylaws language and adding the following language to the explanatory
>>> text of Recommendation 5:
>>>
>>> While acknowledging that ICANN does not possess antitrust expertise
>>> or
>>> authority, on balance the CCWG elected to retain the introductory
>>> language to ensure that ICANN continues to have the authority, for
>>> example, to refer competition-related questions regarding new
>>> registry
>>> services to competent authorities under the RSEP program, to
>>> establish
>>> bottom-up policies for allocating top-level domains (e.g., community
>>> preference),  etc.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> J. Beckwith Burr
>>> Neustar, Inc. / Deputy General Counsel & Chief Privacy Officer
>>> 1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington D.C. 20006
>>> Office: +1.202.533.2932  Mobile: +1.202.352.6367 /
>>> lULrw&r=62cJFOifzm6X_GRlaq8Mo8TjDmrxdYahOP8WDDkMr4k&m=vxemPO-I_e47KeqKFnc