[CCWG-ACCT] the difference between a PDP and GAC Advice...

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Feb 1 23:03:00 UTC 2016

hi,

On 01-Feb-16 16:48, Burr, Becky wrote:
> Even before the PDP really gets off the ground it is subject to review
> by ICANN’s General Counsel as to whether or not it is within ICANN’s
> Mission.  That is a critical structural safeguard against scope creep
> that distinguishes a PDP from GAC Advice.

Yet the GNSO can decide to do a PDP anyway despite being told that the
item is out of scope.  Just takes a higher threshold vote.

While I agree that the processes by which each of the ACSO makes its
recommendations and forms its advice are different, I do not think it
makes sense to compare them.  They are all part of the fabric of ICANN
and all developed in their own bottom-up manner.  I still believe that
parity of difference among the ACSO is an critical principle that should
influence what we do in the name of accountability.

avri

---