[CCWG-ACCT] Recommendation 11, 2/3 board threshold, GAC consensus, and finishing

Schaefer, Brett Brett.Schaefer at heritage.org
Tue Feb 2 17:41:07 UTC 2016

Well said.

From: accountability-cross-community-bounces at icann.org [mailto:accountability-cross-community-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of Greg Shatan
Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 12:25 PM
To: Kavouss Arasteh
Cc: accountability-cross-community at icann.org
Subject: Re: [CCWG-ACCT] Recommendation 11, 2/3 board threshold, GAC consensus, and finishing

I don't think that's the intent or effect of Andrew's email.  I think he was just setting the stage and working through an analysis to show his thinking, which with I generally agree.  One could quibble about whether they are independent or complementary, but they are not "mutually exclusive" as a matter of analysis.

As a bargaining position, it is valid to say that they are mutually exclusive.  It is equally valid to say that they are a package.  For that matter, it's also valid bargaining position to say that the only acceptable package is Becky's proposal and no increase in the voting threshold. And it's valid to say that we want to keep the voting threshold at simple majority and we don't really care about Becky's proposal (so we'll take it if it's there, but give it up if it holds the line at simple majority).  It's all fine and good to show our opening positions -- but where do we go from there?

In any event, this is an interlinked issue of 1, 10 and 11, so one can't say that any of these are truly "closed" until they are all closed.  But that doesn't mean everything is back on the table.

Greg