[CCWG-ACCT] Board comments on Recommendation 6 - Human Rights

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Thu Feb 4 09:02:33 UTC 2016

Hello Nigel,

>>   and clearly says "human rights are NOT part of our core values".

I don't think that is quite right.

Applicable law actually covers some human rights (e.g. slavery, torture)   - it just may not cover all the human rights that you would like to be considered by ICANN.

There are some human rights that clearly don't apply to ICANN - ie we don't have arrest powers so arbitrary arrest clearly doesn't apply, nor do we charge people with penal offences, or confer nationality on people.

It is determining the relevant human rights that should apply to ICANN  beyond the basic set that is in applicable law that is the subject for work stream 2.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin