[CCWG-ACCT] Suggested text relating to ICANN's role with respect to rood servers

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Feb 9 12:16:54 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 09, 2016 at 10:09:54AM +0000, Nigel Roberts wrote:

> I submit to the WG that it needs to consider a plan to transition its roles
> as registry operator (.INT, .ARPA) and as root server operator, so as to
> remove any appearance of bias in its 'co-ordination' role.

ICANN isn't the registry operator of ARPA any more than Afilias is the
operator of ORG.  ICANN performs technical operations of ARPA at the
behest of the IAB, and I'd like to suggest that that relationship is
none of this WG's business.  (Also, we spent considerable time on the
issues of INT and ARPA in the CWG-Stewardship quite some time ago, and
I suggest this WG doesn't need to re-explore the rathole, either.)

But anyway, I don't understand how the operation of any TLD and the
operation of one of the named root server systems impinge on each
other at all.  Could you please explain how they might?

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com