[CCWG-ACCT] Suggested text relating to ICANN's role with respect to rood servers

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 18:06:54 UTC 2016

On 9 Feb 2016 6:19 p.m., "Nigel Roberts" <nigel at channelisles.net> wrote:

> It's pretty clear that there will be an accountability issue, and a
conflict of interest regarding ICANN operating a registry,

SO: If I may ask, who is managing .INT at the moment and does it posit a
conflict of interest at the moment?

Secondly, at the moment I understand that an and organisation can serve as
both Registry and Registrar (if he/she meets the requirement) does that
posit conflict as well?

I personally have no problem and don't care about who runs .INT but I
continue to wonder why that will be tied to ICANN accountability and most
importantly why this should be within the remit of the CCWG to determine.

Regards
.

> This has to go into WS2
>

> On 09/02/16 16:53, Martin Boyle wrote:
>>
>> The footnote to paragraph 173 (1173 of the consolidated proposal from
the ICG on page 64), repeated on page 53, says, "The CWG-Stewardship has
considered the .INT domain, and concluded that provided there is no policy
change under .INT done by ICANN/IANA the CWG-Stewardship does not see any
need for changes in the management of the .INT domain in conjunction with
the transition. Future administration of the .INT domain should be subject
to review post transition."  There was no suggestion that this needed to be
in WS2 - I certainly thought that this was more something for the first
review of the IANA functions operation under the new regime - it is not an
ICANN enhanced accountability issue, but it is one of the IANA functions
for which stewardship is being transferred by NTIA.

>> Leaving aside questions of belief (Milton's assertion that IANA should
not be running a TLD, mine that there is no conflict), the hand-over of the
.int TLD (which carries no policy-development responsibilities for ICANN
and/or IANA) to a new operator is not trivial (and has been a delicate
issue since at least ITU Plenipot 2002 Marrakech).  And the CWG-Stewardship
discussion showed no clear consensus for keep or divest.  Hence the CWG
conclusion that we did not need to make a decision (one way or another) and
that a more relaxed timescale to deciding whether to require IANA to divest
(and if so, what process to undertake to get there) was probably the only
one that we'd all agree to.

accountability-cross-community-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of Mueller,
Milton L

Accountability-Cross-Community at icann.org