[CCWG-ACCT] Fwd: FW: CCWG - recs 1,2 and 11

Robin Gross robin at ipjustice.org
Fri Feb 12 18:46:50 UTC 2016

When I look up the definition of “voting” in order to understand if SO-ACs are doing it through exercise of community power, it seems pretty clear we will be “voting”.  SO-ACs will be expressing formal opinions in response to a proposed decision.  Putting the word “consensus” in there just doesn’t negate the core meaning of the words we are using.  And we aren't going to trick the NTIA and Congress into believing the ordinary dictionary definition of words should not apply to their requirements.  The sooner we put together a proposal that *will* be accepted by the powers-that-be, the sooner we can get this process over with.

Robin

Merriam Webster <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vote> defines the term “voting” to mean “:
1
a  :  a usually formal expression of opinion or will in response to a proposed decision; especially  :  one given as an indication of approval or disapproval of a proposal, motion, or candidate for office
b  :  the total number of such expressions of opinion made known at a single time (as at an election)
c  :  an expression of opinion or preference that resembles a vote
d  :  ballot <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ballot> 1
2
:  the collective opinion or verdict of a body of persons expressed by voting
3
:  the right to cast a vote; specifically  :  the right of suffrage :  franchise <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/franchise>
4
a  :  the act or process of voting <brought the question to a vote>
b  :  a method of voting
5
:  a formal expression of a wish, will, or choice voted <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/voted> by a meeting

Oxford defines “voting” as: <http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/vote>

1.0   A formal indication <http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/indication#indication__2> of a choice <http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/choice#choice__2> between two or more candidates or courses of action, expressed typically through a ballot <http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/ballot#ballot__7> or a show of hands <http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/show#show__66> or by voice.
 <>1.1An act of expressing a formal indication <http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/indication#indication__2> of choice <http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/choice#choice__18>:
they are ready to put it to a vote

 <>
 <>1.2(the vote) The choice <http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/choice#choice__2> expressed collectively by a body of electors <http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/elector#elector__2> or by a specified group:
the Republican vote in Florida <http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/Florida#Florida__2>
 <>1.3(the vote) The right to indicate a choice <http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/choice#choice__2> in an election.