[CCWG-ACCT] CCWG ACCT Proposed Agenda - Call #84 - Tuesday, 16 February @ 06:00 UTC

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Mon Feb 15 19:08:43 UTC 2016

Hi Becky,

 I have two concerns here that I hope those with expertise in these specific areas can help me put to rest:

 ?1. Why are these latest Board objections/proposals being fast tracked within the CCWG at the last minute? Did the Board not have ample opportunity to raise these issues during the normal and proper review of the third draft proposal? Is there something I'm missing here? My belief was that we're at the point of vetting the Supplemental for technical, not substantive, omissions and additions. Should not these Board objections now be included in a Minority Statement, rather than receiving preferential consideration by the entire CCWG? If the answer to that query is in the negative. that substantive revisions may still be adopted,  do not our rules mandate consideration at two meetings before any alteration to our proposal should occur?

 2. I personally don't have a problem with requiring the community to invoke an IRP before spilling the Board when the reason for the recall was Board implementation of GAC advice when said advice is related to subject matter appropriate for an IRP panel to hear (generally, ICANN acting in a way outside its scope and/or not consistent with its Bylaws or Articles of Incorporation).

 ?What, though, of GAC consensus advice that is itself outside the scope of an IRP? I'm thinking of consensus GAC advice that is within ICANN's mission and scope, where there is no allegation of a Bylaws or Articles violations, yet whose approval by the Board triggers a community desire to spill the Board. An example could be something related to the delegation of a gTLD that, for some reason, has prompted GAC opposition. The IRP would not act affirmatively in this instance to any request to nullify the Board action because the reasons for the community opposition presumably lay outside the remit of an IRP. Do we then want the fact that the IRP refused to act, because it can't, to then raise the threshold by which Board spillage will occur?  I'm not sure that's wise.

 Of course, as Becky noted I don't anticipate this aspect of our proposal  will truly ever come into play. At least I hope its doesn't. That said, we need to design our structures as if it might and raising spill thresholds as a result of an IRP not making a substantive decision on an issue because said issue itself  is outside it's remit...do we really want to do this?
 ?

 Best,

 Ed Morris