[CCWG-ACCT] The GAC made me do it

Steve Crocker steve.crocker at icann.org
Sat Feb 20 15:23:27 UTC 2016

Andrew, et al,

With respect, this is not the right way to frame the issue.  All of this quite convoluted discussion and negotiation seems to be based on a fear of the extraordinary power of the GAC to apply pressure on the Board.  While it is true there is a rule in the bylaws compelling the Board to engage in meaningful discussion with the GAC whenever the Board is inclined not to accept GAC advice, at the end of the day the Board makes a decision and is accountable for it.  As the recent IRP ruling made clear, the Board cannot justify an action by pointing to the GAC and saying, in effect, the GAC made me do it.  At best, if the Board points to the GAC, it has to cite justification provided by the GAC that stands up to scrutiny irrespective of the fact that it was the GAC who said it.

To say it more compactly, if there is a reason to spill the Board, it has to be because of what the Board has or has not done, not because of anything the GAC did or did not do.

But what about the GAC’s special role, you might ask?  Well, to start with there is really less to its special role than it might seem.  As I said, the obligation on the Board is to engage in meaningful discussion.  That’s perfectly reasonable, and, if we want to explore how to level the playing field, perhaps the right thing is for the Board to treat the other advisory organizations with the same deference.  I’m not suggesting we attempt to make that change at this particular moment, but I am suggesting we separate the issues.

Please consider the Board’s posture as a friendly amendment, not an adversarial one.  It’s intended to simplify without changing the intent.  Over the nearly twenty years of operation of ICANN, one of the ills we deal with is the accumulation of special cases and inconsistencies.  This serves no one and is simply poor governance.  Let’s move toward simpler and more regular structures and processes.  Among other benefits, it’s an extremely helpful aid to transparency and with greater transparency comes greater accountability.

Steve