[CCWG-ACCT] The Internet's design and ICANN responsibility (was Re: GPI)

David Post david.g.post at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 14:52:25 UTC 2016

At 04:19 PM 1/2/2016, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>Hi,
>
>SNIP
>So, I don't think "the global public interest", whatever that means,
>does anything to help us to understand what ICANN should do.  ICANN
>should pay attention to its well-understood and needed functions.  It
>should not go adventuring out into global governance issues that
>distract from that narrow set of responsibilities.  And it should not
>embrace language that distracts from the narrow responsibilities --
>lest such language become an attractive nuisance that encourages
>people to think ICANN has power it never has had and (given the design
>of the Internet) can't get.

+1

Very well put.
David

David G Post - Senior Fellow, Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation
blog (Volokh Conspiracy) http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
book (Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n
music http://tinyurl.com/davidpostmusic publications
etc.  http://www.davidpost.com