[CCWG-ACCT] Deck for Meeting #75 Mission Statement discussion

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 17:34:56 UTC 2016

On 7 Jan 2016 5:32 PM, "Schaefer, Brett" <Brett.Schaefer at heritage.org>
wrote:

Even then, the Board must try in good faith to find a compromise solution.
This potentially could include GAC advice that goes beyond or is contrary
to ICANN’s scope and mission.

SO: This is correct and such possibility is applicable in any decision of
the board, irrespective of whether it's GAC advice or not. No?

The bylaw should clarify that Board-approved GAC advice, even if adopted by
consensus, is subject to IRP appeal.”

SO: Is there a section of the current proposal that makes board's decision
on GAC advice immune to community powers? (with IRP being an escalation
path). I will like to see reference to that specific part as I have not
seen such yet. The community powers is based on board's action/inaction so
I don't understand what clarification is required when no exceptions (in
this context) were made in the first place.

Regards

> This is also why we recommend restricting GAC participation in the
Empowered Community to an advisory role as long as it retains this power.

> ________________________________
> Brett Schaefer
> Jay Kingham Senior Research Fellow in International Regulatory Affairs
> Margaret Thatcher Center for Freedom Davis Institute for National
Security and Foreign Policy

Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch; accountability-cross-community at icann.org
> Cc: acct-staff at icann.org
>
> Subject: RE: Deck for Meeting #75 Mission Statement discussion
>

> But what if the Board cannot muster a 2/3 vote against GAC advice that
goes beyond ICANN’s Mission and Core Values?

> Then we have the equivalent of a Constitutional crisis, with the GAC in a
position as a member of the empowered community to object to accountability
escalation attempts related to the situation.

> Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
>
> Virtualaw LLC
>
> 1155 F Street, NW
>
> Suite 1050
>
> Washington, DC 20004
>
> 202-559-8597/Direct
>
> 202-559-8750/Fax
>
> 202-255-6172/cell
>

> Twitter: @VlawDC
>

> "Luck is the residue of design" -- Branch Rickey

accountability-cross-community-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of Schaefer,
Brett
accountability-cross-community at icann.org

accountability-cross-community at icann.org
> Cc: acct-staff at icann.org
> Subject: Re: Deck for Meeting #75 Mission Statement discussion
>

> IMHO, the GAC is not bound by ICANN’s Mission and Core Values.  It can
issue any Advice it likes.  But ICANN can only implement GAC Advice in a
manner that is consistent with ICANN’s Mission and Core Values.

<Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch>, Becky Burr <becky.burr at neustar.biz>,
Accountability Community <accountability-cross-community at icann.org>
> Cc: "acct-staff at icann.org" <acct-staff at icann.org>
> Subject: RE: Deck for Meeting #75 Mission Statement discussion
>

> Or, perhaps, that GAC advice should not be bound by ICANN’s mission and
core values?

> ________________________________
>
> BrettSchaefer
> Jay Kingham Senior Research Fellow in International Regulatory Affairs
> Margaret Thatcher Center for Freedom Davis Institute for National
Security and Foreign Policy
> The Heritage Foundation
> 214 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
> Washington, DC 20002