[CCWG-ACCT] Deck for Meeting #75 Mission Statement discussion

Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch
Thu Jan 7 17:50:33 UTC 2016

that was also my understanding

Jorge

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 07.01.2016 um 18:45 schrieb Burr, Becky <Becky.Burr at neustar.biz<mailto:Becky.Burr at neustar.biz>>:

Some comments inline in BLUE

J. Beckwith Burr
Neustar, Inc. / Deputy General Counsel & Chief Privacy Officer
1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington D.C. 20006
Office: +1.202.533.2932  Mobile: +1.202.352.6367 / neustar.biz<http://www.neustar.biz>

From: Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com<mailto:seun.ojedeji at gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 12:34 PM
To: "Schaefer, Brett" <Brett.Schaefer at heritage.org<mailto:Brett.Schaefer at heritage.org>>
Cc: Milton L Mueller <milton at gatech.edu<mailto:milton at gatech.edu>>, Becky Burr <becky.burr at neustar.biz<mailto:becky.burr at neustar.biz>>, "Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch<mailto:Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch>" <Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch<mailto:Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch>>, Accountability Community <accountability-cross-community at icann.org<mailto:accountability-cross-community at icann.org>>, Phil Corwin <psc at vlaw-dc.com<mailto:psc at vlaw-dc.com>>
Subject: Re: [CCWG-ACCT] Deck for Meeting #75 Mission Statement discussion

On 7 Jan 2016 5:32 PM, "Schaefer, Brett" <Brett.Schaefer at heritage.org<mailto:Brett.Schaefer at heritage.org>> wrote:

Even then, the Board must try in good faith to find a compromise solution. This potentially could include GAC advice that goes beyond or is contrary to ICANN’s scope and mission.

SO: This is correct and such possibility is applicable in any decision of the board, irrespective of whether it's GAC advice or not. No?

The bylaw should clarify that Board-approved GAC advice, even if adopted by consensus, is subject to IRP appeal.”

ALL BOARD ACTION AND INACTION IN VIOLATION OF THE BYLAWS CAN BE CHALLENGED THROUGH AN IRP BY COMMUNITY OR SOMEONE MATERIALLY AFFECTED.  FULL STOP.  NO CLARIFICATION IS NEEDED.  THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS CHALLENGING GAC ADVICE – YOU CANNOT DO THAT THROUGH AN IRP.  BUT YOU CAN CHALLENGE THE BOARD’S IMPLEMENTATION IF THAT IMPLEMENTATION CAUSES ICANN TO EXCEED ITS MISSION.  THAT’S THE CASE RIGHT NOW.  THERE IS NO CHANGE.

SO: Is there a section of the current proposal that makes board's decision on GAC advice immune to community powers? (with IRP being an escalation path). I will like to see reference to that specific part as I have not seen such yet. The community powers is based on board's action/inaction so I don't understand what clarification is required when no exceptions (in this context) were made in the first place.

Regards