[CCWG-ACCT] "Consumer Trust" in the Mission Statement

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Mon Jan 11 10:41:11 UTC 2016

> In any event, we should not be cherry-picking the AoC here.  "Consumer
> trust" is an integral part of those commitments.  We should not
> eviscerate this commitment.

Greg

Please not underestimate the difficulty of re-purposing legal terms
which have a defined meaning in 27 Countries.

For example, in many ccTLDs there is specific language in the
Registration Agreement relating to consumers (and by implication
consumer trust).

Section 1 of the Nominet Registrant Agreement, for example, states

‘consumer' – You are a consumer if you are an individual not
registering, using or planning to use the domain name as part of a
business, trade or profession. This corresponds to the legal definition.

This is really important as it affects consumer rights, and consumer
trust throughout the Single Market, and IN PARTICULAR data privacy
rights over WHOIS.

(I still find it curious that the ICANN community think that its policy
development supersedes directly applicable legislation.)