[CCWG-ACCT] UPDATE - Recommendation 4 - power to remove Individual Board director - 1st reading conclusions

Alice Jansen alice.jansen at icann.org
Mon Jan 11 21:37:44 UTC 2016

Sent on behalf of CoChairs

All,
please find attached the updated document on Recommendation 4. This includes language offered by our lawyers for para.39.

You will remember there was a concern expressed that the waiver to be signed by the Directors should not lead to a situation where the Director is defamed, e.g. when unfounded allegations are made that the Director is e.g. a murderer or fraudster. Our legal counsel has advised:

"As to the extreme example you pose regarding defamation, the waiver that we are suggesting is unlikely to be viewed as absolute.  A court would likely view it through a lens of equity in relation to the specific set of facts presented;    outrageous facts that involve intentional known falsehoods may lead to a court not recognizing the waiver as against public policy."

Also, we have included the requirement for a comprehensive and written rationale for Board member removal and the requirement for a dialogue with the Director (see para. 41).

Best,
Thomas, Mathieu, León