[CCWG-ACCT] "Christmas trees" and "Consumer Trust" in Article 1 of the Bylaws

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Jan 13 21:50:12 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 04:40:01PM -0500, Greg Shatan wrote:

> The "DNS marketplace" is the term that's used in the AoC, so I assume there
> is background and history to show how that is viewed in this context.

Several of us (including, I'm afraid, anybody I know who actually has
to operate servers) _always_ thought it was a terribly unfortunate
term, that it was careless language, and that it was going to come
back and hurt.  But people were willing to live with it because they
thought it was limited to the new TLDs; and, since those new TLDs
couldn't be used in any other part of the Internet before delegation,
it was not so risky.

The very concern that many of us had is now being proposed to be
activated now.  This is the same kind of problem that the IAB was
worried about earlier in the over-broad mission language.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com