[CCWG-ACCT] "Christmas trees" and "Consumer Trust" in Article 1 of the Bylaws

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Wed Jan 13 22:08:32 UTC 2016

Greg,

I'm not sure what the "very concern" was, of course.

MM: The concern that “DNS marketplace” would be stretched to include business activities that are not directly tied to ICANN’s mission of registering names in the root zone.

If it was any application beyond the new TLDs then maybe your concern is realized.  But I think this is still a focused "commitment."

MM: Really? What focuses it? Where are the limitations on its applicability documented? You are rejecting outright the one meaningful limitation on its context and scope, namely the gTLD expansion. There is no other limitation. There is no accepted definition of the ‘DNS marketplace’ with which to limit our understanding of its applicability. What we have from you now is nothing but a subjective assurance that you think it is focused.

Whatever ICANN has to do in this regard would still be bounded by its mission, even if it is not limited to new gTLDs.

MM: (facepalm) You are trying to insert a generalized ‘consumer trust’ obligation into the bylaws in a position that would alter the mission.