[CCWG-ACCT] Rec 2 - escalation process - second reading draft

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Fri Jan 15 03:32:14 UTC 2016

hi all, hi Seun, some comments in line below:

On 13 January 2016 at 21:08, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the share, a few comments inline,
>
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 7:40 AM, Jordan Carter <jordan at internetnz.net.nz>
> wrote:
>

>> Hi all
>>

>> 7 days: Time for a second/third SO/AC to sign on for the petition
>>

>> [if no valid petition, lapses]
>>

> SO: May be good to put a limit on number of restart of this phase?
> especially if its still from the same initial petitioning SO/AC and on the
> same subject.

I am not sure we need this. For the bylaws block or the Budget/strat plan
powers, if the power isn't successfully petitioned for in the time frame,
then there isn't the possibility of a further petition. For the fundamental
bylaws approval this is N/A. We have built in that if a power to recall a
director lapses it can't be used again in that director's term. And
repeated rounds of effort to recall the whole ICANN Board seem unlikely.

> Other comments:
> - Considering that bylaw changes can only be proposed by the board, i
> think its fine to lower to 3 support of SO/AC

-  3 support to remove nomcom appointees seem to be quite low as i think it
> should be 4 (nomcom appointees are technically selected by the whole
> community)
> - Removal of entire board still reflects as 4, while that is only a
> compromise as it ought to be unanimous; Its unthinkable that every SO/AC
> would not be made to commit to whatever implications that emerge from
> spilling the board.

We have been very clear that none of the powers require unanimity, and
re-considering that decision is not likely to be something the CCWG as a
whole would be looking to do at this point.  Aside from saying that, I
don't think the thresholds were a topic at the meeting or of my note, so I
won't comment further.

>> +
>>
>> 21 days: Time within which Community Forum must be organised
>> {note - within 7 days of valid petition, written rationale must be
>> circulated - this does not go "on top of" the 21 days for the Forum, it is
>> within it.}
>>

> SO: I had thought the rationale would come together with the petition, is
> there a reason for giving another 7 days for the rationale after petition
> is received?

I made the fewest possible changes, and wondered about this myself, but
don't think it matters much either way.

>> +
>>
>> 21 days: Time within which SOs and ACs must decide whether to exercise
>> the power.
>>

> SO: Again it will be good to be sure this is a hard deadline (not
> expendable) as we have done so extension in this current process. Perhaps a
> note relating to that should be indicated.

I think the language in the proposal is clear that these are timeframes
that can't be changed with any huge ease. If it isn't clear, we will just
all have to be vigilant about making sure that is properly reflected in
implementation.

best
Jordan

Email: jordan at internetnz.net.nz