[CCWG-ACCT] (no subject)

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Fri Jan 15 08:59:29 UTC 2016

Leon, all:

Sam, and the Board are 100% correct.

As I stated early on in this discussion, the addition of the qualifying
weasel words including the expression 'applicable law' appears to be a
knowing and deliberate attempt by those opposed to ICANN having any
obligation to respect fundamental rights, to eviscerate any obligations
in that regard.

I am entirely serious here.

And I submit this perception is corrosive. Both to the trust in the
Board's good intentions, and in that of the CCWG.

Let me put it this way: fundamental rights obligatons do not apply to
private sector organisations as a matter of either domestic OR
international law.

'Applicable law' therefore is a nullity.

The effect of this is that the wording imposed by the proposed wording
appears designed to give a patina to WS1 that ICANN will respect human
rights, whilst in law, removing all obligations /whatsoever/.

That is unacceptable, and I therefore stand with the Board on this one,
although I probably reached this place by a different route.