[CCWG-ACCT] DOCUMENT - Rec 11 - GAC Advice (first reading)

Kavouss Arasteh kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 16:52:25 UTC 2016

Dear All,
Rationale is a general term
Could someone kindly describe what does it mean or what is its scope of
application in the context of ICANN by providing some practical example
See also below
Tom Dale
[image: Pièces jointes]09:57 (Il y a 7 heures)
À *Finn*, *Mark*, *Olga*, *Jorge.Cancio*, *Julia*, *Sabine.Meyer*, *Pedro*,
*Suzanne*, *Alice*, *Pär*, *gac*, moi
Dear All

In any discussion of Advisory Committees (including GAC) providing a
rationale for their advice, you may wish to note  the GAC report to the
Board of 8 May 2015 (here
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/schneider-to-crocker-08may15-en.pdf>)
in which the following response to a relevant ATRT2 Recommendation was
provided:

*ATRT2 Recommendation 6.3.        *ATRT2 recommends that the Board work
jointly with the GAC, through the BGRI, to facilitate the GAC developing
and publishing rationales for GAC Advice at the time Advice is provided.
Such rationales should be recorded in the GAC register. The register should
also include a record of how the ICANN Board responded to each item of
advice.

*GAC Response*: Being Implemented. The rationale for GAC advice in
Communiqués has been made clearer through continuous improvement of the
wording of the Communiqué itself, including attachments where appropriate;
holding of open meeting sessions as the default; and publication of
transcripts and Minutes.

The rationale for other GAC advice in the form of inter-sessional
correspondence is made as clear as possible in the correspondence itself.

The GAC Register of Advice could be made clearer and more accessible and
this is being addressed.

GAC Open Forums at face-to-face meetings are an opportunity for the
community to seek further clarification from GAC on processes.

The GAC will:

·       Continue working with ICANN staff to improve the GAC Register of
Advice, including a record of how the ICANN Board responded to each item of
advice.

·       Ensure that the GAC website review addresses the intent of this
recommendation.

·       Consider further options for explaining its advice at face-to-face
meetings and in writing.

Regards

Tom Dale

ACIG GAC Secretariat