[CCWG-ACCT] Lawyer's High Level Review re Proposal to Refer to 2004 ASO MOU in Mission Statement (Annex 5, Third Proposal)

Kavouss Arasteh kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 21:53:40 UTC 2016

Dear holly,

Thank you very much for your clear legal view:

There is a proverb in Persian language which could roughly translated as
follows:

“Whatever, the junior observes in a Mirror, the senior ( age)  could
observe in the Stone”

I  submitted exactly in one of message to the mailing list several weeks
ago the same argument  that that you described in this message that

Article 1 of Fundamental Bylaws including Mission  is the supreme / highest
level of text in the ICANN text and thus issues such as MoU which as it
self-described itself is merely Memorandum and nothing more than that
should not appear in the highest level of the ICANN TEXT.

I went even beyond your suggestion in arguing that cross reference in the
legal document would almost provide the same level of the main text to the
crossed referenced text.

I therefore suggest , should we all agree by consensus to cross reference
ANY MoU, paraphrase that by a term;” See also MoU XXX as an informative
reference thus would not give a formative status to any MoU due to the fact
that MoU does not have any mandatory status as it is a “ Memorandum of
Understanding only. Something which has a memorandum status is just for
memorandum “aide memoire “, In French, and nothing more than that.

I have noticed that many such arguments that I have made were simply
rejected for other grounds than professional

But I am used to it and do not take it serious.

Another Persian Proverb says

“ I have told you whatever should I had told you , it is up to you to take
it or reject it “

I do not wish to argue with anybody as I accept many thing that are not
disturbing but I can not agree that mandatory legal terms / provisions
contains or cross reference to non mandatory provisions due to the fact
that the non-mandatory provision such as MoU may change with time thus the
mandatory provisions would be subordinated with something which could
easily change such as MoU.

I SPENT 40 YEARS IN  dealing with such DOMAIN

Kavouss