[CCWG-ACCT] Deck for Meeting #75 Mission Statement discussion

Eric (Maule) Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Wed Jan 20 00:25:41 UTC 2016

Colleagues,

The archives of the High Security Zone Top-Level Domain Advisoy Group
(HSTLD-AG) may be found here:

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/hstld-ag/

The initial briefing, a mere 2pp, may be found here:

https://archive.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/briefing-hstld-24nov09-en.pdf

Our final report may be found here:

https://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/hstld-final-report-11mar11-en.pdf

I mention this as the discussion of enforcement has, for whatever reason,
foundered on one of the scenarios we examined.

At no point did our longer, and, in my opinion, better informed, discussion,
arrive at the rhetorical point of departure one CCWG-ACCT contributor has
just offered, that of "make ICANN into an international regulator of online
banking".

And just in case someone still thinks that "ICANN enforcing commitments that
equate a TLD string's semantics with an industry and its regulatory commitments"
is a sensible statement, I point out that several of the scenarios considered
by the HSTLD-AG involved strings many might find meaningless, or much less
suggestive than "bank". My own employer-at-the-time proposed strings for new
forms of payment, as well as for regulated institutions other than ABA member
banks.

I don't mind people working out the issues of enforcement, but could we do it
without gorp like "The idea that ICANN should be deciding what constitutes a
bank ..." would be an improvement.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon