[CCWG-ACCT] A modest attempt to advance the "Mission scoping" discussion

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 17:32:27 UTC 2016

Describing one group as "Those ... who believe in mission limitations" sets
up a false and subtly pejorative discussion.  It's not unlike certain
political groups in the US that describe themselves as "patriots," with the
subtle implication that those who disagree with them are less patriotic or
even traitorous.

We all believe in mission limitations.  The boundaries of those limitations
is where viewpoints differ.  And I would submit that ever more aggressive
attempts to constrain ICANN's mission (rather than merely to clarify it)
and to draw circles with more and more of ICANN's current activities "out
of bounds" are responsible for a significant amount of this "delay" (if
that's what one wants to call it).  We have just had glimpses of upcoming
attempts to significantly rewrite the AGB, using the "new"
Mission/Scope/Core Values as a sword (or perhaps a machete) to do so.  It
is this Trojan Horse aspect of the Mission/Scope/Core Values changes that
is most troubling.  At a "mob sit-down," everyone pulls out all their
weapons and places them on the table (at least in the movies) -- that's
transparency. This group is far less transparent  Although a few of the
intended uses of the M/S/CV changes have been fairly well revealed, there
still seem to be many "concealed weapons" hidden in the M/S/CV by various
parties, with new ones barely glimpsed from time to time.  Assuming these
survive implementation, we are in for a ground war of significant
proportions once these changes are made effective in the ICANN Bylaws.

Greg